[Bro] Problems Building Bro

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 11 14:04:55 PDT 2006

Christian Kreibich wrote:
> Hi Dominic,
>
> On Sun, 2006-06-11 at 13:29 +0100, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>> I can't build Bro on my Linux box.
>>
>> [dom at tility bro-1.1]$ uname -a
>> Linux tility.canterburysoftware.com 2.4.22-10mdk #1 Thu Sep 18 12:30:58
>> CEST 2003 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
>>
>> Trying to build bro-1.1 I get this:
>>
>> checking for library containing inet_aton... none required
>> checking for tgetnum in -ltermcap... no
>> checking for termcap in /usr/lib{64}/termcap/... no
>> configure: error: libtermcap not found in default paths nor
>> /usr/lib{64}/termcap.
>
> well, do you have it installed, and if so, where? We're currently
> checking for just -ltermcap and then specifically add /usr/lib/termcap
> and /usr/lib64/termcap, if appropriate.

Christian,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I had it installed:

[dom at tility dom]$ rpm -qil libtermcap2-2.0.8-35mdk
Name        : libtermcap2                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.0.8                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 35mdk                         Build Date: Mon 04 Aug 2003
08:35:44 BST
Install Date: Sat 03 Jul 2004 18:28:51 BST      Build Host:
hp6.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Libraries              Source RPM:
libtermcap-2.0.8-35mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 19266                            License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 04 Aug 2003 09:00:17 BST, Key ID
e7898ae070771ff3
Packager    : Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne at mandrakesoft.com>
URL         : ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/
Summary     : Development tools for programs which will access the
termcap database
Description :
The libtermcap package contains a basic system library needed to access
the termcap database.  The termcap library supports easy access to the
termcap database, so that programs can output character-based displays in
a terminal-independent manner.
/lib/libtermcap.so.2
/lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
/usr/share/doc/libtermcap2-2.0.8
/usr/share/doc/libtermcap2-2.0.8/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/libtermcap2-2.0.8/README

I tried:

ln -s libtermcap.so.2 libtermcap
ln -s /lib/libtermcap.so.2 libtermcap

but to no avail.

> I'm getting annoyed with this termcap stuff. Its location is apparently
> quite diverse, so it'd be nice if they either provided an m4 macro to
> the autoconf guys, or at least shipped a termcap-config or the
> pkg-config equivalent. If anyone on this list has pointers to reliable
> termcap configure checks, please point them out.
>
>> Trying to build bro-0.9a11 I get this
>>
>> checking for long long... yes
>> checking size of long long... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof
>> (long long), 77
>
> That's odd, it means that AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(long long) fails. I can't make
> an immediate suggestion for fixing this.
>
>> I get different problems on my NetBSD box.
>
> Configure with --disable-broccoli for now. If you need Broccoli, go to
> aux/broccoli after the Bro build and configure and build it separately.
> Try --disable-posix-semaphores. If that doesn't help, feel free to email
> me. I'll throw out all of the semaphores stuff once I have time for
> Broccoli again, because it doesn't help instrumentation in enough
> situations to warrant the build headaches it's been causing.

I did try that but ran into a different problem:

heisenberg: {34} ./configure --disable-broccoli
checking build system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf3.0
checking host system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf3.0
checking target system type... i386-unknown-netbsdelf3.0
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... (cached) flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... no
checking for byacc... no
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for gzip... gzip
configure: error: unknown enable option: broccoli

Thanks, Dominic.