[Bro] Problems Building Bro

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Sat Jun 24 05:09:04 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 12:26 +0100, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
> Vern,
>
> 1. That's done it so thanks very much.

Cool.

> 2. "make install" installed everything as root so I'm having to run bro
> as root.

I don't understand -- who owns the installed files is determined by who
runs make install. I'd normally hope that everything is installed as
root. How does that prevent you from running bro non-root?

If you want to do packet capture you'll likely be running it as root
anyway, if you want to process traces you don't need root, and if you
want to run a Bro-Bro communications node you can use high ports to
avoid root.

I can't comment on your point 3.

> 4. Something not quite right with either the install or the documentation:

Many things aren't quite right with the documentation. :)

Cheers,
Christian.