[Bro] bridge interface vs. bpf bonding (patch?) on FreeBSD 6.1

John Ives jives at security.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 25 11:33:00 PDT 2006

Brian Tierney wrote:
> John Ives wrote:
>
>> Matt,
>>

>>>  The one problem I have seen with two of our systems is that
>>>
>> the interface periodically goes deaf and doesn't come back unless with
>> ifconfig down and up all of the interfaces involved (so I wrote a script
>> that tests the interface every few minutes and restarts it and notifies
>> me if there is no traffic).
>>

> I had this problem under FreeBSD 6.0, but it went away when I upgraded
> to 6.1

Thanks for confirming I am not crazy. :)   Actually when I upgraded to
6.1 (rebuilt world) it got a lot better, but did not go away completely
(whereas it hasn't been a problem the boxes that were built at 6.1 from
the start).  At some point I will probably just need to bite the bullet
and rebuild the machines, but probably not until sometime after 6.2.

John

John Ives                                           Phone (510) 642-7773
GSEC, GCIH, GCWN                                     Cell (510) 229-8676
System & Network Security
University of California, Berkeley