[Bro] Performance questions

Zachary P Reimer zreimer2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Feb 5 09:06:10 PST 2007

I've been testing out bro 1.1c, and am looking at putting it into
production, but have a couple of questions about hardware and performance
issues. I'm currently running under FreeBSD 6. The throughput it'll be
watching won't be extremely high (~200Mb), but connection counts will be
quite high. The main question is whether to get a multiprocessor/multicore
box, or split out some of the traffic to multiple smaller boxes. I haven't
seen any discussion in the archives about support for SMP (other than a
2005 conversation about the lack of SMP under Linux) and I'd prefer to not
split out into multiple boxes, so I wanted to verify if bro will take
advantage of the multiple processors.

The other question is about the performance/CPU impact of the Dynamic
Protocol Detection feature in 1.2, since I haven't seen discussion around
that and would like to use it.

Thanks,

Zac