[Bro] Reporting problem in http_header event

Sanmeet Bhatia sanmeetkbhatia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 02:02:45 PDT 2008

Dear sir,

I have found a bug in the event called http_header. The value : string it
returns has a space at the beginning. Like         "www.yahoo.com" will be
returned         as        " www.yahoo.com".

I am posting You a script where I found it

@load weird
@load alarm
@load http
global path: string;

global urls: set[string] ={"www.yahoo.com","mail.google.com","www.ieee.org
","www.youtube.com","www.bro-ids.org"} ;

global shanz_log = open_log_file("http") &redef;
redef ignore_checksums = T;
event http_request(c: connection, method: string, original_URI: string,
                       unescaped_URI: string, version: string)
       {

     path = original_URI;

}
event http_header(c: connection, is_orig: bool, name: string, value: string)
       {
               if(name == "HOST" )
               {
                 local v = edit(value," ");

                 if( v in  urls)
                  {
print shanz_log,
fmt("%s:%s->%s:%s",c$id$orig_h,c$id$orig_p,c$id$resp_h,c$id$resp_p);

}
}
}

If I simply compare the value it doesn't match. or even if I print the value
its printing with one whitespace prefixed at the beginning.

Regards,
Sanmeet