[Bro] Overlaps Question

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Thu Aug 21 20:12:22 PDT 2008

> I have a question on overlaps - TCP segment overlaps and IP fragments
> overlap - how common they are
> and how legitimate?

TCP segment overlaps are, surprisingly, quite common.  We discuss this
in a recent paper of ours:

	Efficient and Robust TCP Stream Normalization
	M. Vutukuru, H. Balakrishnan and V. Paxson
	Proc. IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, May 2008
	http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/tcpnorm-oak08.pdf

Fragment overlaps definitely occur too, though the ones I've tracked down
(not many) have been due to holding fragments for a long time and the IP
ID counter rolling over (producing a new set of fragments with the same ID).
I don't know how often they occur within the fragment reassembly time window.

		Vern