[Bro] grp ports variable and dpd on bro not work ?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Feb 29 08:52:58 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:46 +0100, you wrote:

> 1) It is possible detect GOBBLES alert without fix tcp port ? (and use dpd)

This works fine for me:

> cat test.sig
signature sid-1812 {
  ip-proto == tcp
  event "EXPLOIT gobbles SSH exploit attempt"
  tcp-state established,originator
  payload /.*GOBBLES/
  }
> bro -C -r exploit_sshgobbles22000.pcap -s ./test.sig -f tcp tcp signatures dpd
1204117394.397943 SensitiveSignature 10.100.11.49: EXPLOIT gobbles SSH exploit attempt

How does your mt.bro look?

> 2) if I replace 'payload /.*GOBBLES/' to 'ssh /.*GOBBLES/', bro stop and alert: parse error  (on this line)
>  -> maybe in next bro releases ? (like http payload)

What exactly do you want the "ssh" to keyword to do? As most of a
ssh session in encrypted, it could match only on the first--which is
just what payload is doing as well (note that Bro stops processing
SSH content after the first line, i.e., payload is not doing any
further matching).

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 931-5555 * robin at icir.org