[Bro] grp ports variable and dpd on bro not work ?

rmkml rmkml at free.fr
Fri Feb 29 04:49:31 PST 2008

thx for reply Robin,
ok my mt.bro contains in this example:
  @load alarm
  @load dns-lookup
  @load hot
  @load frag
  @load tcp
  @load scan
  @load weird
  @load finger
  @load ident
  @load ftp
  @load login
  @load portmapper
  @load ntp
  @load tftp
  @load dpd
  @load ssh
  @load irc-bot
  #@load dyn-disable
  @load detect-protocols
  @load site
  @load snort
ok I understand my pb, on my signature example, I have missed dst-port, ok
please test with this signature :
  signature sid-1812 {
   ip-proto == tcp
   dst-port == ssh_ports
   event "EXPLOIT gobbles SSH exploit attempt"
   tcp-state established,originator
   payload /.*GOBBLES/
   }
this example NOT work on two pcap file,

ok change dst-port :
  signature sid-1812 {
   ip-proto == tcp
   dst-port == 22
   event "EXPLOIT gobbles SSH exploit attempt"
   tcp-state established,originator
   payload /.*GOBBLES/
   }
this example WORK on pcap file and ssh on port 22/tcp,

but why ssh_ports not work ? (ssh.log contains ssh_version client/server
on two example pcap file)

grep ssh_ports policy/*    # default conf :
policy/ssh.bro:global ssh_ports = { 22/tcp } &redef;
policy/ssh.bro:redef dpd_config += { [ANALYZER_SSH] = [$ports = ssh_ports] };

for second question, thx for your comments.
Regards
Rmkml