[Bro] Problem in compiling Bro on an Ubuntu 7.10 system (probably something with lpcap)

Georgios Spathoulas gspathoulas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 02:08:04 PST 2008

Hello to all,

I am an Intrusion Detection Researcher from Greece. I try to create an
experimental setup, in order to test data fusion methods for combining
alerts from different IDSs.

I am trying to setup Bro IDS on an Ubuntu 7.10 system. I have tried both 1.2and
1.3 versions and I get the same error when I run the ./configure command :

checking for local pcap library... not found
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... no
configure: error: see the INSTALL doc for more info

I guess I am missing something. I have Snort installed on the same system, I
hope this does not create a problem.

Whoever can help, please post to me a probable solution.

Thank you in advance.

The whole output of the ./configure  command is

giorgos at m1330:~/Desktop/bro-1.3.2$ ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for flex... flex
checking for yywrap in -lfl... yes
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gzip... gzip
checking for OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf in -lcrypto... no
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for chown... /bin/chown
checking Linux kernel version... 2
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking return type of signal handlers... void
checking for sigset... yes
checking for int32_t using gcc... yes
checking for u_int32_t using gcc... yes
checking for u_int16_t using gcc... yes
checking for u_int8_t using gcc... yes
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h.. . yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking socket.h usability... no
checking socket.h presence... no
checking for socket.h... no
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking for net/ethernet.h... yes
checking for netinet/ether.h... yes
checking for netinet/if_ether.h... yes
checking for sys/ethernet.h... no
checking for netinet/ip6.h... yes
checking for socklen_t... yes
checking if syslog returns int... no
checking if we should declare socket and friends... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for socket... yes
checking for putmsg in -lstr... no