[Bro] "Meta" event handling?

Stephen Chan sychan at lbl.gov
Fri Jul 25 16:57:43 PDT 2008

    From within an event handler, is there a generic way to find out the
name of the event, and the names and types of the parameters that were
passed to the event?

    The reason I'm asking is that I'd like a generic way to encapsulate
events and send them to a broccoli listener, which is only requesting
the "wrapper" events. The client would then unwrap it, and then figure
out what to do with it based on it's local configuration (the particular
thing I'd like to write is a broccoli listener that pushes events into a
database).

    Ideally, there would be some function such as "whatamI()" that
returned some representation of the calling handler's name, and name
value pairs that corresponded to the parameters names and values. This
could then be the parameter for the wrapper event, which is sent out to
the listener.

    Has anyone tried to do this? A lot of the serialization stuff seems
to exist already, so maybe the only new code would be something to peek
under the hood of the call stack?

    Steve