[Bro] Bro 1.4 release now available

Randolph Reitz rreitz at fnal.gov
Sat Oct 18 18:06:50 PDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Robin Sommer wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 17:30 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Reading changelog says brolite may be deprecated.  I see current
>> 1.4 release is missing ../etc/bro.rc, ../etc/bro.cfg and
>> ../site/local.site.bro files amongst others even after running
>> "make install-brolite".
>
> Hmmm... We'll look into that to see if it's an easy fix to get these
> installed by "make install-brolite".
>
>> Is there any other recommended way to start/stop/run bro ?
>
> There's is nothigng which ships with 1.4 at this point but the
> "Cluster Shell" we are working on has a "standalone mode" which
> makes it suitable for normal, single-box installation as well. See
>
>      http://blog.icir.org/2008/04/interactive-shell-for-operating-bro.html
>
> This will likely become the standard installation scheme at some
> point.
I have been using the "cluster shell" with BRO 1.4.  I recently needed
to hook in a process I want to start when BRO starts.  I happily
modified etc/bro.rc-hooks.sh, but this doesn't work.  It seems that
the cluster shell does not use etc/bro.rc for BRO startup and shutdown.

Does the cluster shell have a mechanism (Er, hook) for starting an
external process?

Thanks,
Randy