[Bro] Offline/Tracefile Traffic Classification with Bro

Isara Anantavrasilp isara.a at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:07:23 PDT 2008

Hi,

thanks a lot for the answer.
That  is what I am looking for, but not entirely.

As far as I understand from the syntax, it pushes every packet that
has TCP port 22 into Bro.
Bro then summarizes the connections in the conn.log (using tcp policy).
And you are right, I want just the packets so that I can process later.

However, it might work with SSH, but the reason I need Bro here is
that some applications that I am interested in require payload
signatures.
And even though it is SSH, I would like to be sure that it is actually
SSH (by analyzing the payload not just port number).

I just found out that with switch "-w <writefile>", Bro can output the packets.
If I use sth like

bro -r inputtrace.pcap -w outputtrace.pcap somesignature.bro,

would Bro return packets of all flows that match the policy in
somesignature.bro?

Another question, can Bro handle the compressed trace file by itself
or I always have to use zcat?

Thank you very much!

-- Isara