[Bro] raw bytes question

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 11:44:01 PDT 2009

This raises a question that I've been wondering since poring over the 1.4
manual regarding how well Bro greps packets.  Specifically, the manual says
that signatures are off by default and that the grepping is per-packet with
no stream reassembly capabilities.  It also appears that there's no
particularly fancy pattern matching engine under the hood, indicating that
matching on full snaplengths for many signatures produces high load.  I
haven't measured this myself, so I'm wondering if this is the case.  Does
anyone have any statisical (or anecdotal) evidence as to how many sigs can
run under a subnet with mostly web client traffic?

Thanks,

Martin