[Bro] BroLite install (was: Bro 1.4 release now available)

Peter Hart-Davis - MWEB PHartDavis at mweb.com
Fri Jan 16 05:15:38 PST 2009

Hi there

I am new to Bro and the list so Greetings.

Some feedback as requested.

I am installing on Slackware 10.2.0 (old I know) gcc version 3.3.6,
which was pretty straight forward although I have snort/libpcap etc
installed from source and a PF Ring kernel so it is far from a vanilla
Slackware.  I had done a 'manual' install of Bro 1.4 prior to patching
Bro for a BroLite install, I deleted and re-installed as I felt that I
had missed a few things which did turn out to be the case e.g the perl
reporting scripts.

On patching and running "make install-brolite" all seems good 'out of
the box' except I had to add "/usr/local/bro/site" to BROPATH in
etc/bro.cfg, from my reading I gather this is likely due to a new
location of site to share/bro/site?  A suggestion, possibly a simple
'what goes where' or 'what is to be expected where' in the docs?

Peter

Peter Hart-Davis
Senior Technical Engineer: MWEB IT Security Team
Multichoice Subscriber Management services: Internet Division
Tel.: + 27 021 596 8103
Cell: + 27 083 414 7455
Fax: + 27 021 596 8381
E-mail: phartdavis at mweb.com
Registered Linux User #28564
Registered CISSP #89701
MSN: trip_tango at hotmail.com

New from MWEB: Cellphone and Internet bundles! Bundle your Internet access with your cellular contract from R75 per month.
Call 08600 32000 or click here(http://www.mweb.co.za/productsservices/MTALKMobile/tabid/1223/Default.aspx) for more info on the great deals available.

MWEB :-)  JUST LIKE THAT

This electronic communication and the attached file(s) are subject to a disclaimer which can be accessed on the following link: Disclaimer - or copy the
following URL into your browser - http://www.mweb.co.za/disclaimer.
If you are unable to view the disclaimer, please contact abuse at mweb.com for a copy.