[Bro] Returning local variables and garbage collection

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Jul 27 12:45:55 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:24 -0700, you wrote:

> Robin,
>    Perfect, thanks. I'm actually returning "custom" type, i.e., those
>    for which Bro doesn't know anything about, internally.

By "custom", you mean declared as a record on the script-level,
right? That's fine, Bro knows how to handle them when passing
around. The internal stuff ("internal_type()" etc.) is only needed
for types which the C++ accesses itself in some way (e.g., because
it wants to modify an instance of that type).

>    In addition, the memory consumption lowered down when I removed the
>    handler for connection_timeout

The prof.log output should indicate whether there are a lot of
connections hanging out in memory for some reason, which could
potentially be a problem.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 666-2886 * robin at icir.org