[Bro] A more parallel Bro

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Mar 5 13:38:21 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:33 -0600, you wrote:

> I'm going to start analyzing Bro's memory use and performance; do you have
> any recommendations about which policy I use?

Here's a sequence of scripts imposing increasing load on Bro that we
have been using in the past for some of our measurements:

(1) tcp
(2) tcp mt
(3) tcp mt scan trw
(4) tcp mt scan trw udp icmp
(5) tcp mt scan trw udp icmp http-request http-reply http-body http-header
(6) tcp mt scan trw udp icmp http-request http-reply http-body http-header ssh pop3 irc ssl smtp

It's also worth comparing running with the connection compressor vs.
without (use_connection_compressor=T/F). And keep an eye on the
packet filter; it's easy to forget but can have quite an impact on
performance depending on what it lets through and what not.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 666-2886 * robin at icir.org