[Bro] Hardware Experience

Joel Ebrahimi jebrahimi at bivio.net
Mon May 4 14:02:22 PDT 2009

Hi Nick,

Another hardware option is the Bivio platform (http://www.bivio.net).
First I should make a disclaimer that I work for the company.

We offer a hardware platform that is designed for DPI applications like
Bro. The system is really a networking platform and much different than
off the shelf hardware you would get from Sun. The Bivio system is
designed to deal with traffic at 10Gb/s (or more with scaling) and comes
with configurable interfaces that range from 1 G copper to 10 G fiber.

The Bivio system is PowerPC Linux based so it is fairly trivial to port
Bro or any pcap based application to our platform. I have ported it in
the past and built RPMs, and I'm currently looking forward to the
cluster release of Bro in the 1.5 version as it is an extremely good fit
for the distributed architecture design of our hardware.

I would highly recommend taking a looking if your goal is to not only
use 10G interfaces, but to be able to deal with that 10G of traffic.

Cheers,

// Joel

Joel Ebrahimi
Solutions Engineer