[Bro] Standalone vs. Cluster on a single machine

Seth Hall hall.692 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 23 07:59:39 PDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Justin Azoff wrote:

> Are there any benefits or issues with running a bro cluster on a
> single machine
> instead of in standalone mode?  I'm thinking that running it in
> cluster mode
> from the start may make it easier to move to a cluster configuration
> in the
> future, but I'm concerned that it might add unnecessary overhead in
> the mean
> time.

I would just run in standalone mode.  As far as I know (and Robin will
know better), the only difference configuration-wise between
standalone mode and cluster mode is the node.cfg file.  If you run in
cluster mode when you really only need standalone, you will have the
overhead of extra bro processes running that aren't really necessary.

I would recommend that you stick to standalone mode for node and if
you build a cluster eventually, the configuration steps necessary are
going to be the least of your worries.

   .Seth

---
Seth Hall