[Bro] [Announcement] Major NSF funding for Bro development

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Aug 24 16:53:06 PDT 2010

Some of you folks may remember that back in January we did a survey
soliciting input on operational Bro deployments in the hope of
attracting funding for Bro. Today, the Bro team is jazzed to
announce that the National Science Foundation has awarded a grant of
almost $3M to the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI)
and the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) for
extensive Bro development.

The funded project aims specifically at addressing much of the
feedback that we have received from Bro users over the years. It
will enable us to refine many of the rough edges that the system has
accumulated over time[*], improve Bro's performance significantly,
and also make it much easier for the community to contribute to the
project.

For further information, see the joint ICSI/NCSA press release at:

    http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu/News/10/0824NSFawards.html

While we are still in process of planning our next steps, we'd
already like to encourage you folks to take an active role in
shaping the course of Bro's future development. In response to our
earlier survey, many of you have already sent in ideas on what kind
of improvements and new functionality you would like to see.  If you
have further thoughts, feel free to send them either to the list or
to Robin personally. Now is also the time to file your favorite Bro
quirk with our tracker at http://tracker.icir.org/bro ...

Thanks to everybody who helped make this happen!

The Bro Team

[*] Yes, that includes documentation!

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 666-2886 * robin at icir.org