[Bro] Fragmentation and TCP overlapping Issues

Veronica Estrada estrada.veronica at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 02:06:52 PST 2010

Hello,
Sorry for sending again these questions to the list but I haven't received
any answer to my old post in bro list. Besides, I want to add more details.
We try to understand the behavior of BRO regarding fragmentation and other
related issues. I am validating results with another IDS (Snort) and results
are surprisingly different, but to  understand the differences we need
answers to the questions in e-mail below. For example, check question 7: in
our traces, there is a file that contains corrupted headers and  several
packets. Snort output is different whether we use the original file or a
truncated version:

Original file (contains corrupted headers):

DISCARD: 87.9%

TCP: 11.751%

OTHER: 1379

Total fragments: 36

TCP Overlaps: 1494

ALERTS: 1836

Processed packets: 3,771,244 (discard: 3311766)

Same file but truncated since the point where wireshark  triggers "corrupted
header" and cannot read anymore

DISCARD: 0 %

TCP: 94%

OTHER: 22819

Total fragments: 1072 (fragments reassembled 522)

TCP Overlaps: 34580

ALERTS: 116877

Processed packets: 3,795,710

Original file 4Gb, Truncated file 3.9 Gb

BRO output is identical for both files. Moreover, I cannot check how many
discard packets or how BRO deals with the corrupted header packets.
Regarding question 1 below, I am using libpcap 1.0.0.
Thank you in advance,

Veronica Estrada