[Bro] Update on using PF_RING/TNAPI with Bro

Sunjeet Singh sstattla at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 17:30:40 PST 2010

Okay, if this works, I don't think you'll see a gain in performance.

To leverage performance in this case, lets say you have 4 cores,
Core 0 running Bro Manager,
Core 1 running Bro Proxy,
Core 2 running Bro Worker1,
Core 3 running Bro Worker2.

For max performance (and really any performance gain) through cache
localization, you'd want all traffic input to Bro to go to either Core2
or Core3; and both of these cores coupled to one RX_Queue each. You will
somehow need to at the driver layer, split the traffic coming from the
wire to go to one of these queues (intelligently to send packets sharing
state to the same RX_Queue). This has to be done at the RSS, and I have
no idea of how to do this on my network card- Intel 82598EB. (You
couldn't use Click to do this because you want to do it at the driver
level).

What do you think?

Sunjeet