[Bro] Questions about Bro's DNS Parser

daniela.miao at utoronto.ca daniela.miao at utoronto.ca
Sat Feb 6 21:29:13 PST 2010

Hi Vern,

Thanks for your time. I was actually running into the ip checksum
errors before, but then I discovered the -C option.

The problem is, even with the -C option, some packets that have error
codes such as "Server Failure" or "No Such Name Exists" are not being
logged in the DNS log file. The log file only contains information
regarding packets that had no errors. This confuses me, since it
appears that dns-info.bro file contains information required for error
code deciphering.

A closer look at the dns log file as given right now reveals that
whenever there is a packet that contains an error, the parser simply
stalls, and prints out the query as is, instead of deciphering the
error code.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you very much,

Daniela