[Bro] Poll: Bro deployments

Richard Bejtlich taosecurity at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 10:21:31 PST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
> Hello Sites Using Bro,
>
> We'd like to ask for your help.

1.  Name of deployment site [optional]:

General Electric

2.  We are using Bro

    [X] not yet, but we plan to
    [ ] experimentally
    [ ] operationally

3.  We have done so for about _1_ years.

4.  Our site is best described as

    [ ] Academia
    [ ] Research Lab
    [ ] Government
    [X] Industry
    [ ] Other (please explain)

5.  In its current use, Bro monitors about _N/A_ systems.  In
production it could monitor over 300,000 systems.

6.  Would you be fine with us listing your site by name as a Bro user?

    [ ] Yes, however you wish.
    [X] Yes in private to the funders in your grant application, but
not publicly.
    [ ] No, please use this information only in an anonymized form.

7.  Optionally, list up to three improvements you would like to see
    in the "Bro world":

a. Documentation -- ideally we would like to see a book-length and
book-quality document explaining how to deploy and use Bro, from
beginner to advanced level.
b. Deployment assistance -- creating wizards or other interfaces that
guide a new installation to implement desired functionality.
c. User conferences -- gathering Bro users together to discuss how
they use the product, share leading practices, and form a community to
help advise requirements and development

Thank you,

Richard