[Bro] Bro Cluster Help

Sam Oehlert soehlert at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 4 14:48:55 PDT 2010

I am attempting to figure out how to get a Bro Cluster up and running, but all documentation I see is outdated. I am trying to use the latest SVN (though if you know how to do it with 1.5, I'll figure out the differences between the two), and I am having problems.

First of all, I have the manager and proxy nodes as the main box, with two workers being in virtualized OSes. They can all ping each other, so I know they are connected. I do not know how to start up bro in this method though. Should I be starting bro on the workers, then broctl on the manager? Vice Versa? Only start broctl?

My other problem is a new one, I am now getting an error when I try to start broctl on the manager node. It keeps telling me that the broctl start script can only be run on a manager node, is there some place to tell it this is the manager (it was working before, the errors I got were related to the workers, not the manager).

Sorry for the long email, but I have been working for quite a while and I can't figure this out. I have also spent a long time searching for help that's out there already, sorry if I missed it.

Thank you.
Sam