[Bro] Differences in processing multiple traces with BRO and ipsumdump

Veronica Estrada estrada.veronica at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 08:35:34 PDT 2010

Hi, Sridhar!

I tried again with others tools (mergecap & tcpslice) and I found that all
of them behaved in the same way. I got the same number of connections after
analyzing with bro (same number of input several pcap files directly to bro
- 169168 connections).

Moreover, after doing other tests with other pcap files, I realized that
ipsumdump was having problems with one of my files, although that file can
be read with many tools without any problems. That is why bro found a
different number of connections using the output of ipsumpdump.

I still puzzled over ipsumdump because the difference in connection number
is big and the tool does not give you any hint about the existence of a
problem, thus it is easy to get a wrong analysis with bro.

Veronica Estrada
Nakao's Laboratory
Univ. of Tokyo