[Bro] BRO & Malware Hash Registry

Ewald Beekman E.H.Beekman at amc.nl
Wed Mar 10 02:29:53 PST 2010

Hi Seth,

Sorry for bothering you, but ..
did you get any further with the cleanup of the code?

I have used Bro for about two weeks now and it helps me
detect malware infections very well (i check for suspicious
downloads and redownload them myself). Allthough i really
would like the automation to check agains the MHR, my personal
findings indicate that the hashes are commonly not know.
Would it be an idea to check the hash against virustotal?
http://www.virustotal.com/buscaHash.html
don't know if the scripting language of Bro is even capable of
doing that. I wrote a perl script to do it from the commandline
but it uses WWW::Mechanize.

Perhaps a better idea for BRO/VT capabilities is to use an
intermediate system which does the hash checking with VT and
caches the results. Bro could than use simple http to check
the hash against the intermediate system.

just my thoughts, free flowing ;)

thanks in advance,

Ewald Beekman...

--
Ewald Beekman, CISSP. Academic Medical Center (AMC), NL