[Bro] linking a wrong_fragment event to a connection

Veronica Estrada estrada.veronica at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 08:06:55 PST 2010

Thanks for your kindly answer about fragment. So maybe I should focus on
bad_TCP_checksum / bad_UDP_checksum and bad_icmp_checksum instead
of excessively_large_fragment, excessively_small_fragment,
fragment_inconsistency,
fragment_overlap,fragment_protocol_inconsistency
etc..)? In that case, I will have the header with the information I need.

BTW, in the case of BRO processed KDDCup 99 data, all the wrong fragments
belong to SF labeled UDP/ICMP connections (for UDP connections wrong
fragment count is 3 and the others 1). I thought SF is printed for
completely flows but I read in an old message of this list (nov 2004) that
when BRO encounters a flow mid-stream and that flow get shut down BRO uses
SF label. You mentioned plans for adding Bro state tracking to solve it.
What is the situation at the moment?

The paper I am talking about defines the timeouts that could affect the
probability to split a flow during its lifetime:
active timeout is full length of TCP connection passive timeout refers to
idle times in active flows where no packet is transfer (it is called also
the maximum packet gap).

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Veronica