[Bro] TCP segment retransmission v.s. segment out-of-order

Vern Paxson vern at icir.org
Wed Nov 10 08:48:12 PST 2010

> IPID sounds very convincing. However, you said "for some flows". Is
> there any flows that we cannot use IPID for this purpose?

Right.  Some OS's randomize IPID or set it to 0 (for packets sent with DF),
which renders the trick unusable.

> > (or I guess timestamps
>
> Do you mean the timestamp in the pcap header? or is there any other
> timestamps written from the end hosts which we can obtain from monitoring
> point?

TCP timestamps, negotiated for some connections.  Again, not always doable.
Plus, the timestamp format is not standardized.

> > (Note, we're planning for the next Bro release to contain a bunch of
> > transport analysis,
>
> When do you expect to release next Bro?

We don't have a target date yet.  It's a good ways off.

> I could see some of them in TCPStats_Endpoint and rtt.bro. Is that what
> you are talking about?

Yes.  Currently just in a branch.

		Vern