[Bro] Time Machine RAM usage question

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 11:01:24 PDT 2010

I've got a question on tm's RAM usage, and I was hoping someone could
point me in the right direction:  I'm trying to get as much duration
as possible out of tm so that I can go back many hours or even days
for packets.  I have a lot of disk to throw at it, and a fair amount
of RAM.  The problem I'm running into is that when I move the
conn_timeout up to 86400 but keep the mem settings low, tm still
consumes a massive amount of RAM.  I am concluding that the RAM usage
must be the connection tables, and not the mem setting for the traffic
class.  Is there a way to allow tm to maximize for longevity?  My
understanding is that if I move the conn_timeout down, those packets
will not be available for query.

Thanks,

Martin