[Bro] Running a Bro cluster diskless?

James Welcher jwelcher at lbl.gov
Mon Apr 11 13:41:39 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Seth Hall <seth at icir.org> wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Schoenefeld, Keith P. wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have experience running Bro diskless like this already?  What
> are the common problems unique to this configuration, where will I likely
> want to leverage the local scratch space, and is this absolutely the wrong
> way to run a Bro cluster?
>
> OSU ran very similarly to that for a very long time.  I suppose it was
> actually how the first production cluster (with BroControl at least) was
> done but we backed away from it a bit due to all of the problems I was
> encountering.  In the hands of a more experienced cluster admin, I expect
> the results would be much better. :)

I come from an HPC background and used beowulf/warewulf and perceus cluster
software for scientific computing. This is linux software and we prefer
FreeBSD for our bro clusters, but I've been laying the ground work for a
memory file system bro cluster (with local scratch). Our next cluster will
likely be built this way. But if you go down this path and want to compare
notes, let me know.

--
James Welcher <jwelcher at lbl.gov> 1.510.486.5543
Cyber Security, IT Division