[Bro] Possible default policy improvements

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Apr 21 09:03:33 PDT 2011

On Apr 21, 2011, at 11:26 AM, edthoma wrote:

> The connection references in the HTTP and FTP logs (lines with 'start' in them) are formatted differently:

On the upside, both of those scripts are already rewritten for the next release and this is no longer a concern.

> Also, I'd like to suggest that the HTTP log include, where applicable, X-Forwarded-For information

This information along with the output from several other headers that indicate proxied connection are included in the new script by default. :)

> . Proxies are very pervasive at this point, so I'd guess that such information would be of extreme value for many. I suspect this has been suggested before, so perhaps there is some history that I don't know about.

At the very least, even if that data wasn't extracted by default in the next release, it would be *extremely* easy to add it to the logs due to the new logging framework.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/