[Bro] trace-summary script and number of local networks defined

Gaspar Modelo-Howard gmhoward at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 11:49:40 PST 2011

Set up Bro (version 2.0-beta-47) and have a couple of questions
regarding the etc/networks.cfg file:

(1) When defining more than 24 local networks in etc/networks.cfg, the
trace-summary script throws the following error message and does not
email the regular connections stats summary:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bro/bin/trace-summary", line 816, in <module>
    LocalNetsIntervals[net] = i
  File "/usr/local/bro/lib/broctl/SubnetTree.py", line 86, in
__setitem__
    def __setitem__(self, *args): return
_SubnetTree.SubnetTree___setitem__(self, *args)
IndexError: cannot insert network
Command exited with non-zero status 1
0:00.04 real, 0.05 user, 0.00 sys, 0K total memory

I tested for different number of local network declarations (all /24)
and 24 seems to reach a limit. When defining 25 or more nets, get the
error message from above. Have been looking at trace-summary and
subnetTree.py but have not yet detected the cause of the problem.

(2) Can you 'aggregate' local networks on the etc/networks.cfg file so
the stats for several defined networks can be reported by trace-summary
as just one network? For example, say I declare the local networks in
networks.cfg as:
1.1.1.0/24  Network A
1.1.2.0/24  Network B
1.1.3.0/24  Network C

Then I want trace-summary to give the aggregated stats for both Networks
A and C, in a single table. Feasible? Tried using same tags for
different networks but did not work.

Wonder if anybody has run into any of these two issues.
Thanks,

Gaspar