[Bro] How to throttle (or limit) the bitrate of a UDP connection using BRO?

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed May 25 18:42:13 PDT 2011

On May 25, 2011, at 7:25 PM, Harkeerat Bedi wrote:

> Node1 (Client) <------>   Node2 (running BRO) < ------ > Node3 (Server)
>
> If I have a UDP connection (between the Client and the Server) with a bit rate of 2Mb/s. How can I reduce its bitrate to a user set value - say: 1Mb/s, using BRO?

I suppose you could write a script that would install a firewall rule on the box to do the packet dropping (assuming whatever firewall you're using supports that).  You can use the system() function in Bro to call your external script that would put the firewall rule in place.  But generally Vern's point still applies that Bro doesn't ship with any consideration toward this deployment scenario.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/