[Bro] handle out of order and retransmitted packets in offline trace

Song Zhao sxz135 at case.edu
Mon May 30 00:22:08 PDT 2011

Hi,

In the 12G rewritten trace, the port numbers range widely. http-rewriter.bro
loads http-reply.bro,which loads http-request.bro,which loads http.bro. The
codes about filteration in these policy scripts are as follows:

In http-request.bro:
redef capture_filters +=  {
    ["http-request"] = "tcp dst port 80 or tcp dst port 8080 or tcp dst port
8000"
};
In http-reply.bro:
redef capture_filters += {
    ["http-reply"] = "tcp src port 80 or tcp src port 8080 or tcp src port
8000"
};
In http.bro:
# DPM configuration.
global http_ports = {
    80/tcp, 81/tcp, 631/tcp, 1080/tcp, 3138/tcp,
    8000/tcp, 8080/tcp, 8888/tcp,
};
redef dpd_config += { [ANALYZER_HTTP] = [$ports = http_ports] };
redef dpd_config += { [ANALYZER_HTTP_BINPAC] = [$ports = http_ports] };

Any of them sets DPD on? If not, why the port numbers in the rewritten trace
range so widely, which range much more widely than the range of global
http_ports?
I didn't load dpd.bro anywhere. After checking the payloads roughly, as far
as I found, they all contain HTTP requests or responses. I mean they are
really "HTTP streams" whatever the port number is.

Thanks
Song Zhao