[Bro] A question about loading signature files

zhiquan lai laizhiquan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 19:53:06 PST 2011

Hi, Dear Robin,

Actually, I didn't understand why you didn't recommend using the Snort
signature, which is am important module of Bro just as mentioned in the
manual.

But, recently, I'm trying to use Snort2bro to translate new Snort Rule set
to Bro's signature. Unfortunately, I found that Snort2bro does not support
some elements of snort like "pcre" which is critical in detecting. Is this
why you didn't recommend using the Snort signature?

You said that the Snort signature is not generally really useful with Bro.
What did you mean with that?

What about improving Snort2bro to support "pcre" and other elements in
Snort. Does this work count?

Thanks,

Quan