[Bro] HTTP Object length calculation

Ioannis WiCom iduckhd at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:17:41 PDT 2011

Thank you both for getting back to me.

I understand your point regarding the content-length.

However, it looks to me that there is a contradiction in the calculation.

When the host receives the full object and it is encoded, bro reports the size of the object in the server (before compression), not the actual bytes in the network (after compression).
When the object is partially downloaded (object_length<content_length) and assuming it was encoded, bro reports the actual bytes in the network (since partial decompression cannot be performed).

Am I missing something?
Is there a way to get the actual bytes transferred?

thanks,
Yannis