[Bro] Integrating bro-ids on sguil or snorby

Louis F Ruppert lruppert at syr.edu
Thu Sep 29 05:14:02 PDT 2011

Another option is to use the syslog output and pipe that into prelude-ids/prewikka for handling.  I've done that with 1.5.x using its native syslog output.  I've been experimenting with doing the same with the development version.

Prelude is nice because it's a fairly distributed model, and it encrypts traffic from sensors to manager/display.  And its development bits are Python, so there's potential for much tighter integration.

Distributed is nice too, if you tend to move back and forth between using multiple specialized bro clusters and the one all-uniting fearsome bro mega-cluster.

The model I tend to use looks like this:
bro->syslog->prelude-ids

But picture it with HIDS output, commercial IDS output, and other syslog output all correlated by IP in my diagram.
--
Lou Ruppert
Intrusion Analyst, GCFA