[Bro] Version: 2.0-907 -- Bro manager memory exhaustion

Chris Crawford christopher.p.crawford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:27:49 PDT 2012

Have you seen any of my threads from earlier this year?

http://bit.ly/JJQVVf
http://bit.ly/N2l4yT

Your issue sounds similar to what I was experiencing.

Bro 2.0 is routinely uses up all available memory and then crashes for me.

In my case, an early suggestion was that Bro should not be run in a
virtual machine.  I set up a second instance of Bro 2.0 on a FreeBSD
machine (not a VM), though, and got the same results -- routine
crashes.  I read quite a few stack traces from those crashes, and
noticed that there seemed to be an issue (maybe a leak) allocating
memory when Bro attempts to reassemble fragmented traffic.

Can you get a stack trace from any of your crashes?

I have a cron job that restarts everything as soon as it experiences a
crash, so I can get fairly continuous coverage.  Unfortunately, seeing
bro crash so frequently reduces my confidence that it's catching
everything.

If I want to be more confident about the results bro produces, I'll
run it over pcap from tcpdump.

-Chris