[Bro] Version: 2.0-907 -- Bro manager memory exhaustion

Chris Crawford christopher.p.crawford at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 09:02:54 PDT 2012

I have the following in my local.bro file:

redef SMTP::generate_md5 += /image.*/;
redef HTTP::generate_md5 += /image.*/;
redef SMTP::generate_md5 += /text.*/;
redef HTTP::generate_md5 += /text.*/;
redef SMTP::generate_md5 += /application.*/;
redef HTTP::generate_md5 += /application.*/;
redef SMTP::generate_md5 += /audio.*/;
redef HTTP::generate_md5 += /audio.*/;
redef SMTP::generate_md5 += /video.*/;
redef HTTP::generate_md5 += /video.*/;

Using broctl's top and a little trial and error, I can see that these
lines are the cause of my high CPU usage.  It also causes higher
memory usage as well, but memory usage always climbs and never gets
smaller.  I don't know if these lines are responsible for just higher
memory usage in general, or whether they are also responsible gradual
climb in memory.  It appears that memory gradually climbs even without
these lines, but I haven't had enough time to test that idea.  I
believe that the climbing memory eventually leads to a crash,
typically when Reassem.cc attempts to allocate some new memory and an
unhandled exception is triggered.  The broctl cron command restarts
bro for me.

-Chris