[Bro] Emerging Threats signatures on Bro ids ?

Vlad Grigorescu vladg at cmu.edu
Fri Aug 10 16:48:21 PDT 2012

Hi Rmkml,

As Martin said, that would be a good start, and would provide everyone with some very useful data. Longterm, however, I think that this is a perfect fit for the upcoming intelligence framework. As I understand it, the goal of that framework is to separate the scripting layer from the intelligence layer (so, you have a user-agent analyzer script, which reads good or bad user agents from the intelligence layer. Your script stays nice and clean, and your intelligence can just be presented in a logical way, and be processed by the script into something useful).

Unfortunately, Emerging Threats doesn't present the intelligence in a logical way, and it's preprocessed for Snort. What I'd love to see is ET just provide *data*, and then you have a script to convert it to a format Snort understands, Bro processes it into something it understands, and so on.

tl;dr: I think it'd be very useful to have this data, but I don't think anyone should sink too much time into it until the intel framework comes out.

  --Vlad