[Bro] Bro & malloc implementations

Clark, Gilbert gc355804 at ohio.edu
Sun Dec 2 17:30:55 PST 2012

Hi Jim:

Re: #3, here's what I did:

First, I ran './configure'

After successfully running configure, I opened up build/CMakeCache.txt and
found:
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING=' '

I modified that line to read:
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING=-L/path/to/jemalloc/lib/dir -ljemalloc

Then I did make clean / make / make install.

To verify bro was linked against jemalloc, I ran otool -L /path/to/bro and
verified that jemalloc was in the list of libraries I found there.

Also, other stuff I found to be useful:

* Exporting VERBOSE=1 before executing make will tell Cmake to dump the
complete compilation string to the console.  This can be used to manually
verify that -ljemalloc is included in the flags when the bro binary is
being linked.

* The above will link all executables output during the build process with
the linker flags specified in CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS.  Since some of the
utilities generated earlier in the build are used later in the process,
the runtime library path needs to include libjemalloc before make is run.

Hope that helps,
Gilbert Clark