[Bro] Issues installing Bro 2.0-B on FreeBSD 8.0

Kroeger, Thomas M tmkroeg at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 2 18:22:59 PST 2012

During a fresh install of Bro I had the following issues and was curious to know if others have seen similar.

Bro compiled and ran just fine. But cron job that called "broctl cron" would never complete and just kept creating new processes.  The result was when I wasn't looking it eventually crashed the box with too many processes.

After a morning of using Bro's debug output, I was able to trace it down to a confluence of a few issues:
1- FreeBSD doesn't have bash in the path on a default install
2- The python subprocess.poll() function would always return none and failed to fail to indicate the subprocess had died.

The result of these two items was that when broctl called the helper function check-pid it would fail with "env: bash: No such file or directory" but because python's poll() was only returning a None the help code would block on the readline() and leave the "broctl cron" process hung.  I'm running FreeBSD 8.0 and python 2.7.2

Also is there a way to search the mailing list.  I tried to search to see if this issue had been seen by others but I wasn't able to search the mailing list.

In any case, many thanks for the tool and any help working with it.

       Tom MK

-----
Tom M. Kroeger
Systems & Security Research