[Bro] Issues installing Bro 2.0-B on FreeBSD 8.0

Kroeger, Thomas M tmkroeg at sandia.gov
Wed Jan 4 18:59:21 PST 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Seth Hall wrote:

> Hi Tom!
>
> On Jan 2, 2012, at 9:22 PM, Kroeger, Thomas M wrote:
>
>> After a morning of using Bro's debug output, I was able to trace it down to a confluence of a few issues:
>> 1- FreeBSD doesn't have bash in the path on a default install
>
> Hm, I guess we should add bash to the quick start guide for freebsd.  Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> We do need to still spend some more time finding weird edge cases like this where things aren't failing gracefully.

Glad I could help.  Let me know if you'd like me to add anything to the issue log for this, I wasn't sure if it warranted an issue entry.

>  What you are experiencing is definitely not intended behavior.  Does everything work if you install bash?

Just to be clear bash was installed but it defaults to /usr/local/bin which isn't in cron's path in a default install.  So the I after install you probably also want to do something about cron's path.  My solution was an entry like

0-59/5  *  *  * * * env PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bro/bin:$PATH  broctl cron

The other issue with the failure of python's  popen has me more worried.  I was stoked to see how you guys handled those cases and really sorry to see that python had that issue.  I found an old bug for a 2.3 version but I'm not sure what was causing it in my environment.  It could be something foolish in my setup but I didn't have time to explore it further.  If no one else is seeing that issue I'll mark it up to something in my system.

In any case, thanks for the system. It was fun to finally have some time to work with it.

     Tom MK