[Bro] Sensor placement with presence of web proxies

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 18:57:27 PST 2012

Right, but then you lose the power of reporting on srcip, as well as
any chance at correlation.  A very frequent task my analysts do is to
follow-up on any newly-identified hostile dstip's by doing a query
which shows all unique srcip's to hit it.  My httpry_logger.pl script
sets the srcip via X-Forwarded-For if available, but a lot of other
tools don't.

All of that aside, I shouldn't need to worry about XFF if I sniff the
client-side of the connection, right?  If that's true, then my main
concern is whether server response headers are getting altered by the
proxy.