[Bro] SPAN oversubscription

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:52:31 PDT 2012

Ok, so I've got two boxes running different pcap programs and
monitoring the same RSPAN at different locations in the network, and
they both missed a packet at the same time.  One had a pcap file
which, when measured by the size divided by the time it monitored,
managed to record 688 Mbps during the timeframe of the drop.  You'd
agree with my suspicion then that we're hitting our SPAN destination
port subscription limit?  I would've expected closer to 800 Mbps
before drops occurred.