[Bro] SSH-enhancement

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Mar 8 09:14:18 PST 2012

On Mar 8, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Arne Wirtz wrote:

> I have 2 questions :
> 1 ) is it possible to change the logging in a more ascii style the way
> the first two exchanged packets are logged ? ( I tested different
> options for the ContentAnalyzer from ContentLine.cc, e.g.
> SetPlainDelivery and SetCRLFAsEOL, but all I got was hex style logging
> for the first packets. )

I'm a little unclear about the changes you made.  If you could work with our repository and send us a diff that would be much more helpful.  I do think that part of your problem is that you aren't actually parsing those fields.  You're just shoving the data after the version exchange into a string but there is a lot of structure to it which you are just directly including in your output.

> 2 ) I think the delivered data are not all there is, wireshark shows
> more package content, am I missing something ?

It's funny that you are looking into this.  I've been planning on overhauling the SSH analyzer very soon myself.  I was going to turn the whole analyzer into a binpac based analyzer and my plan was to extract a lot more data than is currently extracted.  It should address what you are trying to do at least.

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/