[Bro] HTTP Post data

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Mar 9 09:11:26 PST 2012

On Mar 9, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Martin Holste wrote:

> This is important enough that the Bro team might want to work on
> something that's on by default.  Specifically, many attackers hide
> SQLi in POST params, so auto-extracting and logging some default,
> finite limit of POST params into the HTTP log would be a big win for
> the community.

Yep, I've done that before and (again!) it's another source of perspective change on network traffic.

Regarding the SQLi detection, I've been planning on extending the SQLi detection script to cover POST data for a long time.  Adding post data to the logs is at least easy.  I attached a script which will just blindly add a configurable amount of data to your http.log.

I'm not so sure it would ever be turned on by default, but we can certainly consider including a script that does this.  It's a load statement away from being enabled that way. ;)