[Bro] Adding SSL certs to Bro 2.0

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Mar 15 08:26:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:12 -0500, you wrote:

> Quick question. I am getting a timeout when trying to print the
> variable containing the root_certs. I am just wondering if this is due
> to having too many trusted certs loaded or if this is just a
> limitation of the broctl print function.

Pretty certainly the latter, the table itself shouldn't have a problem
with many entries. Bro's current git version has a new option to
increase the BroControl timeout for print, but here's another thing
you can do to see the output:

Add this to your local.bro:

    event bro_init()
    {
        print SSL::root_certs;
    }

Get a small trace and run it through broctl's "process" command:

    broctl process path/to/trace

This will print all the certs to stdout (and then process the trace).

(Trace content doesn't matter; one of Bro's test traces will do, like
bro/testing/btest/Traces/web.trace).

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org