[Bro] Signature Matching Performance

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri May 4 00:04:46 PDT 2012

On May 4, 2012, at 2:41 AM, Chris wrote:

> - properly anchor the signatures rather than prefixing them with ".*" This seems to be the critical point in my situation. So if you have ideas how to resolve this without giving up matching at arbritrary positions.... ;)

Could you give us some example signatures?  If they have private data in them, you could defang them a little bit, I'm only asking so that we can see more about how you are using signatures.  In general though, lots of signatures with .* at the beginning are going to be really, really bad.

> - clusters of Bro instances

That's always an option, but it may be more worthwhile to find out if you are using signatures for an appropriate task first. :)

Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network
http://www.bro-ids.org/