[Bro] A problem during using 'set'

Asma Mumtaz asma.mtz at gmail.com
Sun May 13 02:55:39 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was testing my code written in Bro, and I was noticing some wrong values.
When I debugged the code, the following section had the problem (the bold
part)

if(vals[index2] == "length"){
                local length_vals = split(vals[index2 + 1], /-/);
                *local lengths: set[count];*
                *print cat("here - prev length = ", |lengths|);*
                for(index3 in length_vals)
                    if(length_vals[index3] != "") add
lengths[to_count(length_vals[index3])];
                *print |lengths|;*
            } #finished lengths
here is the output.

here - prev length = 0
1
here - prev length = 1
2
here - prev length = 2
3
here - prev length = 3
4
here - prev length = 4
31
here - prev length = 31
34
here - prev length = 34
46
here - prev length = 46
48

It means that whenever I declare local lengths: set[count]. It is not
initializing a new 'set', but keeps the state of previous set of values
entered and updated it. Why is it doing so?
regards,
Asma